Friday, May 1, 2015

Grandmother's New Dress

My Grandmother was a little German lady that had a lot of pep in her step. She was always busy doing something.

She was about four foot tall and short waisted and thus it became hard for her to find clothes that would match her figure.

She loved to sew her clothes because she would know where to change the pattern to match her figure, but one day she was in a hurry and went out and purchased a new dress from the local Dress Shop in Town.

When she got home she got out her sewing basket and started to alter her new dress to fit her. She worked on her new dress all afternoon. And after supper she worked on it a little more.

She later came into the Living Room to visit with the family and we assumed that she had completed the dress to her satisfaction.

When it became our bed time we kids went to bed while mom, dad and grandmother stayed up for a while longer.

The next morning mom called us for breakfast and after breakfast it was my job to take out the garbage before going off to school. To my surprise in the top of the garbage can outside was my Grandmother's new dress. Thinking that she had meant to take out her trash and probably forgot that she had dropped the dress inside, I brought it back into the house.

If looks could kill, I would be dead. She quickly yanked the garment out of my hand and I never saw it again. I mean never again, not in her closet, on her person, or even in her garbage.

Knowing my Grandmother, she probably burned it.